Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ballade

Oh, I've been through the fire, and been through the flood,
And I've wandered the hills that the rain washed away,
And I've stood on the plain that was covered in blood,
And I've cursed with despair at the bones of the day.
I've sailed several oceans and watched every shore,
And I've swabbed over sea-decks with rags, on my knees,
And I've swarmed over mountains to seek golden ore,
And I've begged for a moment of minimal breeze.
I've danced among fairies and drunk their dark wine,
And I've warbled their melodies lost past recall,
And I've slept on hard benches of oak, ash, and pine,
And I've died, now and then, and I've felt myself fall.
But I've never been happy, at least not this much
Though I've seen all the world, and its wonders, and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment